Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Today, a Frudent; Tomorrow, a Friend.






In my "real" job, there are lots and lots of perks. (There are also some downsides, but those are very few and the perks largely outweigh them.) One of those perks is that I get to know some of the most awesomely amazing kids who grow into these phenomenal adults. This year's senior group contains some pretty wonderful people. Kaitlyn is one of these. I taught her three years ago, as a sophomore honors student, this past year as a junior in Holocaust Lit, and I will get to have her THIS year in AP English. She is also part of a small group from Holocaust Lit who traveled to Memphis with me last school year for a whirlwind conference. On that trip, we were talking about the unique relationship and bond that teachers and students have with each other. I am always quick to point out that we are NOT friends. I truly love them, and I think they love me, but there is a line that has to be there to have an effective educational environment. They always laugh and roll their eyes (and sometimes act hurt) when I make that statement. On that trip, someone (can't remember which one) coined the words "freacher/frudent". This is a mix of friend/teacher and friend/student. I thought that was perfect. :) Because one day soon, I will think of Kaitlyn as my friend. She is just the sort of person I LOVE to have as a friend...

She is smart, funny, loves to read and discuss books (HELLO!!!), and has a zest for life that shines through everything she does. She is sensitive without being dramatic and sarcastic without being mean. I have had the best time getting to know her better every year and I know this year will be no different. Kaitlyn, your pics are gorgeous because YOU are gorgeous, and what makes you gorgeous is way more than your eyes and hair... it's that spirit and spunk that you have that bubbles out of you. I had such fun taking your pictures and I look forward to "AP our senior year". :)

0 comments: